Monday, May 2, 2016

Confrontation! Humans and Elves! Oh My!

                                                                 Part One

Jaekob Faolan: The Druid stood over the corpse, his hand flat and moving slowly up the length of the burned corpse. He was hoping his elven senses would aid him with some clue of who the man was.

Kathena Mavendorf walks in and approaches quietly. "Greetings Jaek. Sorry I'm late. I lost track of time."

Jaekob Faolan looks up and sighs deeply, "I am having no luck with trying to sense something about the man. I should...well... be able to, but nothing."

Jaekob Faolan: "Oh, my manners. Vedui my friend."

Kathena Mavendorf cuts her eyes to the corpse on the bed. The skin darkened by the flames makes the face difficult to make out at first, so she gets closer. "It's quite alright my friend. Let me take a good look."

Kathena and Jaekob
Kathena Mavendorf  concentrates on the shape of the face, the size of the eyes, nose and mouth and what is left of his clothing. "I think I know this man! He's been spending time at the tavern on Falcon's Edge."

Jaekob Faolan nods and takes a couple steps backward, his one sense working and he crinkles his nose.

Jaekob Faolan looks startled for a momment, "You do? And Falcon's Edge hmmm? I do not frequent that village, but I hear it is seedy to say the least."

Kathena Mavendorf looks at Jaekob, her face showing her mind hard at work. "I don't know his name, but I've seen him there often enough. I'll go there in the next few days and ask around. I don't mind seedy places," giggles.

Jaekob Faolan nods, chewing on his lip, "I..well..yes, that is best. Am sure elves questioning the people there would not be received overly well." Saphira has also offered to "sniff" out the area."

Kathena Mavendorf nods, "Aye. I go there from time to time, conducting my business. They know me as one of them. I should be unnoticed if I ask questions about certain individuals."

Jaekob Faolan nods and closes the distance and gazing at her asks, "And you are certain you will be safe.? Ghods knows I do not wish to risk harm to you."

Kathena Mavendorf: Jaekob, these are my people. I've been around them my entire life. I won't do anything stupid to bring any problems my way. I'll be careful."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Besides, I don't want to lose any business."

Jaekob Faolan: "I trust you will not my dear. And would be deadly for any who hurt you. Our friendship has brought upon you too many troubles."

Kathena Mavendorf shrugs, "It's all in a days work for a gypsy," laughs.

Kathena Mavendorf becomes serious and looks at Jaek with a stern look in her eyes. "I am, however, worried about your security Jaek. Your guards aren't trained for this."

Jaekob Faolan: "My guards," laughs with a twinkle in his eyes. "My rangers are some of the best trained  elves throughout the lands, Kathena."

Kathena Mavendorf smirks, "Oh really? I've managed to give Ettrian the slip at least twice now. If I can come and go here without them noticing, then it means they aren't trained to deal with people like me."

Jaekob Faolan runs a hand through his hair, "Speaking of, what tricks have you played on my Ranger. Elves are generally not grumpy but he is as close as an elf can get. And he is very distracted."

Kathena Mavendorf tries not to laugh, her face unable to hide a smile. "We had a disagreement of sorts. He called humans lowly pets, I think it was. So I struck him. HARD. In a place I wasn't sure was going to hurt him." giggles.

Kathena Mavendorf stops giggling and with a straight face she says, "His reaction was not what I expected." then laughs again.

Jaekob Faolan shakes his head, "Well Ettrian can be a bit lacking in manners and good taste. But he IS the best ranger captain I have ever had."

Kathena Mavendorf smiles and nods, "That may be the case, but I still get the better of him, and that's not good."

Jaekob Faolan sighs, sucking in a deep breath of air. "So about this training you suggested. Their skills with sword and bow and arrow is beyond comparison. But, perhaps, you could aid them in learning more about humans and their intrigue. But I warn you, Ettrian will be difficult to accept and not at all fond of humans."

Kathena Mavendorf bites her lip a bit as she ponders how that interaction will play out. "They are excellent warriors but lack understanding in what my kind can do when we want to infiltrate a place, or group to gather information or cause harm."

Jaekob Faolan knows, "I will let Ettrian know you are contacting him and he is to be affable. Do you plan to stay in Calenhad for now or to to Falcon's Edge first?"

Kathena Mavendorf: I think I better teach your guards at least something before I leave. You might want to tell your guards this right away and make sure they understand that they MUST listen to me, at least for this."

Jaekob Faolan: "I will send a missive to Ettrian this hour and tell him to prepare his soldiers for the training then."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Wouldn't it be better if you told him in person?"

Kathena Mavendorf: "I fear he will oppose this with all his might and ill humor."

Jaekob Faolan: "Well, yes I suppose" he chuckles thinking of how he lets the gypsy guide him about like a puppet. She was his best friend; they had been through so much together and it just seemed natural.

Kathena Mavendorf looks at him quizzically, "I'm not telling you what to do Jaek. You ARE the Aran here. I'm just giving my counsel."

Jaekob Faolan: "And wise you are my friend. I will talk with Ettrian immediately and perhaps I can find out what seems to be disturbing him hmm?

Kathena Mavendorf nods and smiles.

Jaekob Faolan: "Do you need anything? Are your accommodations satisfactory?"

Kathena Mavendorf grins, "Aye, they are fine. Easy in and out from multiple points." giggles.

Kathena Mavendorf: "I'm perfectly well. I will return there presently. Should I expect a guard at my door again?"

Jaekob Faolan laughs, "Then I willl take my leave to alert Ettrian and hope he is receptive beyond my orders."  He laughs. "Yes Ettrian will be close to you to.... well...keep you safe and content. Try not to be so elusive with him eh?"

Kathena Mavendorf bites her lower lip and looks like she's trying not to laugh. "Aye, ummm, I shall try."

Jaekob Faolan: "Good. Good. Then I shall go and talk with Ettrian and tell him to be more gentle with you," chuckles and turns toward the door.

Kathena Mavendorf laughs to herself and walks out making her way to her room.

                                                                   Part Two

Jaekob Faolan slips quietly through Calenhad until he comes upon Ettrian and moves quickly toward him.

Jaekob Faolan: "Ettrian," he says softly." We must talk and is most urgent. I want you to contact Kathena and discuss with her how she can train you and your rangers in a stealth more common with humans and the questionable ones such as those who burned our city."

Ettrian: "The GYPSY. But, Aran, she is nothing but trouble and will not abide my rules. She...she scares me..but not in a threatening way."

Jaekob Faolan laughs, "She has not always abided by mine own, Ettrian. But behind the image she tries to present, she is rather congenial enough if you are kind to her."

Ettrian: "But, I.....will you please have someone else tend to...HER?"

Jaekob Faolan shakes his head, "No, you are the one I rely on and you are the one I have told to do this. Now go find her now. She is at her cottage."

Jaekob Faolan: "And..and..." he looks back over his shoulder as the ranger stands there shifting from foot to foot.

Jaekob Faolan: "Quick now, go tend to the Gypsy.

                                                                 Part Three

Kathena Waits for Ettrian
Ettrian approaches the cottage. He knocks rapidly on the door. "Perhaps, she will not be here," he mumbles as he waits for her

Kathena Mavendorf hears the tapping at the door so she stands and makes her way there, opening the door slowly. "Hello there"

Ettrian stands erect at the door, his arms to his chest, "I am to speak to you, gypsy." he says hesitantly as he fidgets somewhat in her presence.

Kathena Mavendorf stares at him, "Well come in or do you plan to stand there like a statue as usual?"

Ettrian nods and enters.

Ettrian: "I would stand outside were I to have a choice human. But the Aran ordered me to see you about....training?"

Kathena Mavendorf arches an eyebrow looking a bit bothered. "Ah yes, this lowly human has to teach you a few things about us pets, so you don't get your ass handed to you again."

Ettrian takes a deep breath, trying to do as he was told. He looks down and mutters, "It is fair to say my rangers do NOT need your training or your help if it please milady."

Kathena Mavendorf places a hand on her hip and looks up at him with a smirk on her face. "Oh really? I've been able to sneak out of here at least twice now without you noticing. Now I ask you, if I can do that, what's to stop any other from sneaking in?"

Ettrian lets his face raise upward and his eyes catches hers and they settle there for a brief moment. Then he shifts and his demeanor becomes rigid, "Human, you try my patience," he says as his fists clench and loosen."

Kathena Mavendorf exhales loudly exasperated by his behavior. "Look tin soldier, I have a name! My name is Kathena, and I will appreciate if you stopped calling me human, woman or m'lady from now on! Got that Ettrian?"

Ettrian nods, "As you wish hu.....Kathena. As you bade me  a thing, I will bade you to speak less with your anger and more with your heart. Well, if you are capable of such a thing. If we HAVE to do as the Aran commands, then your civility WOULD  be apppreciated."

Kathena Mavendorf sighs and closes her arms in front staring at him calmly. "Very well then. I will do my best to keep my temper in check, as long as you do also."

Ettrian nods, inhaling deeply, "I am not taken with your task, Kathena. I find it an insult to the rangers. But, I will do as I am told. When would you wish to meet with the rangers?"

Kathena Mavendorf's face softens and she tries to empathize with his situation. "Ettrian, I know you are all extremely well trained in battle. You fight with honor and are a credit to your race. Please don't think that this is meant to shame you in any way." pauses for a moment collecting her thoughts.

Kathena Mavendorf: "I'm going to do something that goes against every fiber of my being by revealing secrets to you and your men, that will, I hope save lives."

Ettrian looks at her canting his head a bit. "If it is viable training and my men are not insulted by a hu...." he catches himself and quickly continues. "Elves are SUPERIOR to your kind. Remember that and we may succeed in this task."

Ettrian Talks Down to Kathenaa
Kathena Mavendorf looks instantly angry, "You need to change your attitude you know! You are damned rude. Just because you live lifetimes longer doesn't make you better!"

Ettrian: "It IS a fact, not an attitude human," he says beginning to feel nervous as heat rises in his body. Why did she cause him this emotion, he wondered. "I will do as I am told Kathena as long as you treat my rangers with respect. I care not how you treat me. Obviously, we have a mutual dislike for one another," he says trying to force his mindset from one thing and to the other.

Kathena Mavendorf rolls her eyes and throws up her hands. "You are just impossible Ettrian. I will ignore your insults tonight, but I will ask that you refrain from talking down about humans in the presence of your troops. I know I don't have your or their respect, but if you keep carrying on with the insults it will make matters much worse."

Ettrain nods, "I will try Kathena. I will try and I will pretend a tolerance for your race. Just know I am only playing a small game," he says fidgeting nervously.

Kathena Mavendorf rolls her eyes, "I don't think you realize, but I'm on your side. I am betraying MY people to help you. It wouldn't kill you to at least be civil with me."

Ettrian: "I certainly did not ask you to betray your people. That gives me yet another reason to consider your agenda and be cautious. But, I will present myself with civility toward you. When does my lady propose to meet with the rangers?"

Kathena Mavendorf looks at him with a bit of disgust. "I will meet with them in the morning. Remember, my name is Kathena, and as you very plainly have shown your opinion of me to be, I am NO LADY."

Ettrian nods, "Apparently not. I shall watch guard over your door this night and you can advise me when to assemble them." He walks toward the door and pauses. His face softens and he breathes deeply. He breathes in her scent.

Kathena Mavendorf moves closer to him nearing the door. "How about you tell me where they will be? I'm sure I'll be able to sneak out and beat you there."

Kathena Mavendorf slams the door behind him. "Stupid, arrogant elf! He's going to have to learn whether he likes it or not!" She goes to bed and blows out the candle. "I'll definitely sneak out, that will prove my point."

No comments:

Post a Comment