Thursday, September 17, 2015

Tangles Stumbles on Kat's New Shop

Tanglefoot BarkFellow
Tangles had been keeping goats only for a few days.

All had been going well. They scampered, played, gave milk and made lots of noise --  until last evening.
One of the billy goats was refusing to eat and looked very lethargic.

Tangles tried a number of different things to entice the goat to eat: Leaves, roots, mosses, bark.
He found a small patch of marshmallow plant and the recalcitrant goat seemed to enjoy the roots.

Tangles scratched the goat's neck and reflected:
"From now on, you will be called 'Fussy Gussy'.  I will find you some more marshmallow root, don't worry."

So the Hobbit set out in search of more root and perhaps some berries to feed poor Gussy.

He searched this way and that, checking the plants that grow under trees, those that grow near streams and every sort of herb he could find,  but there was nothing that looked as though it would appeal to a fussy goat.

Stretching and yawning, Tanglefoot studied his surroundings.  He had been focusing on small areas right below his feet and hadn't noticed how far his feet had taken him.

It was then that he first saw the odd and interesting building.

So interesting in fact that he felt he must see more of it.
He normally was a polite and somewhat bashful Hobbit, but there was something that drew him nearer and nearer to this place set seemingly in the middle of no where.

He tried the door ...

Tanglefoot and Kathena
Kathena Mavendorf: "Hello there."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow bows and stammers "Hello .. "

Kathena Mavendorf: "I see you have found my little hiding place."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Are ye here on business, or pleasure my little friend?"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "I'm sorry to intrude.  I was just looking for some marshmallow root."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "One of my goats has become fussy and likes eating that."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Hmmm, marshamallow root? I don't think I've seen any in these parts."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow nods and glances around.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "This is an .. interesting place."

Kathena Mavendorf grins, and moves her hands around showing off her unusual collection. "Let's just say, I like to find strange and unusual things."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "I sincerely hope I'm not intruding. It looked so inviting , I couldn't help but look it over."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow smiles politely, unsure what anyone would do with all these items.

Kathena Mavendorf leans in a bit and almost whispers, "I'm a merchant of, less than the regular type of objects, potions and services."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow puts a hand on his chin, in thought.  "I've heard of such things ... but have never seen."

Kathena Mavendorf grins mischievously, "Well if yer ever in need of something that others might not be able to provide, you come see me."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Perhaps one day I shall read the cards or gaze into my crystal orb and divine your future."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Oh .. "

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Those are very interesting skills."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Maybe you can find something for my goat to eat ?"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow is rather a single-minded Hobbit, it seems.

Kathena Mavendorf giggles, "I can try! What is troubling your goat?"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow wrinkles his brow,  "He just won't eat what I find for him.  It started very recently. He seemed fine before that."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Is his digestion as it was before or is he having difficulty?"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow bites his lip for a moment "Well, he has been making some odd noises recently.  But don't goats, always?"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow laughs.

Kathena Mavendorf laughs.

Kathena Mavendorf: "Aye, so I've heard."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "You may have something there. Goats are notorious for eating everything.. .maybe there's a rock or something in his tummy."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Or a belt buckle, or a bottle .. or .. anything, really."

Kathena Mavendorf: "Perhaps make him a tea with yarrow root. Should help ease digestion. I like to add some hot peppers to the tea to speed things up."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Yes, that might be it. And the marshmallow root soothes it.  But perhaps you have a better solution."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Oh, that would be most helpful.  How clever!"

Kathena Mavendorf grins, "My horse sometimes gets into the wrong foods and I have to get his stomach right or else riding behind him in my vardo, I would faint from the gas!"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Oh dear!"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow makes a sour face and giggles.

Kathena Mavendorf laughs.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Perhaps you can help me mix something and I can pay you or trade with goat's milk ?"

Kathena Mavendorf makes a pensive face for a moment then smiles. "How about goat's milk and sweets?"

Kathena Mavendorf: "I love sweets!"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Oh, you like sweets?  There was a tasty cake type thing we made at my Shire. I don't believe I've seen any here."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "We called them "Moofins."

Kathena Mavendorf: moves gracefully about the cabin, with a spring to her step. She gathers the yarrow root, water, honey and little red peppers from a drawer.

Kathena Looks for Ingredients
Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "I will make some for you, soon as I can."

Kathena Mavendorf: "That sounds delicious!"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Oh, I have honey, if you need that."

Kathena Mavendorf: "It would be wonderful if you could keep me stocked up on honey."

Kathena Mavendorf: "I find that I use it frequenty."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow:" I can try. I found some recently and I may be able to capture a hive and start an apiary."

Kathena Mavendorf pours the ingredients into her cauldron and stirs it as it heats up, letting the ingredients melt into the water. The scent is both sweet and spicy, burning her nose a little.

Kathena Makes the Potion
Tanglefoot BarkFellow sniffs the air, very intrigued.

Kathena Mavendorf looks at the hobbit, "It should only take a few more minutes. I like to let it simmer for at least 5 minutes so all of the ingredients are at its most potent."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow nods and smiles, most grateful.

Kathena Mavendorf continues to stir the brew, then finally brings the spoon up to her nose, taking a long sniff, then placing a bit of the liquid onto her lips.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow watches closely."

Kathena Mavendorf smiles brightly, "It's ready!" She pours the liquid into a bottle and hands it to the hobbit.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow takes the bottle gingerly and grins "Thank you so very much.  I will try this and bring back some milk and honey promptly!"

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "Or if you think it will be entertaining, you can watch the goat take his medicine."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow snickers.

Kathena Mavendorf laughs.

Kathena Mavendorf: "I would put it in a bowl and let the goat drink from it."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow nods and takes note.

Kathena Mavendorf: "It probably won't have to drink it all for it to take effect.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "I am most obliged.  I am going to administer this straight away!  Thank you once more."

Kathena Mavendorf: "You are most welcome Tanglefoot. I'm glad for your visit. After meeting you at market, I certainly didn't think you would be a customer."

Kathena Mavendorf giggles.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow shuffles from one foot to another, unsure of what to say.

Tanglefoot BarkFellow: "I am glad I found your shop.  Oh, the funny places one wanders ... "

Kathena Mavendorf nods and smiles. "Safe paths Tanglefoot, and may we meet again soon."

Tanglefoot BarkFellow bows "I shall return soon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment