Thursday, September 10, 2015

Audrey's Attempt at Potion Making

Audrey Ashgrove: "I'll be off now, Gabe. Until later, darling", she calls as she grabs her basket and closes the door.
Audrey Ashgrove walks with rapid strides down the hill outside the city walls of Calenhad, enjoying the breeze from the sea, trickling her hair around her neck and making her skirt float gently around her knees.
Audrey Ashgrove raises a hand in greeting to the guards training at the field lager, her spirits high as she rushes on across the stone walkway towards Cheshire.

Audrey Ashgrove smiles warmly and shouts a loud "hellooo" to Lisbeth, glad to see her friend out and about so early too
Audrey Ashgrove: "Good day, Lis, how goes things?"
Lisbeth (NPC): "It's a mighty fine morn, Audrey. I am just about to go milk my sister Sara's cows. Where are you going so early?"
Audrey Ashgrove beams as the words gush out of her, "oh Lis, yesterday I met Lord Jaokob for my first real Mage lessons. I've been reading so hard and it is so puzzling at times, but the Druid King made so much clear to me."
Lisbeth (NPC) smiles, "Aye, he is surely a good, wise ruler... we can be thankful he looks after kin and critter alike in these parts."
Audrey Ashgrove: "Oh yes, and I think he was quite pleased with my work... he... well... umm... I don't know exactly, but I was sure he told me a simple potion recipe, but when I went home all excited to tell Gabe, he reckoned that it was too early and I had misunderstood", she finishes quietly and her shoulders slump.
Lisbeth (NPC): "Oh well, my friend, Gabriel is a bit further in his studies than you, he may be right. But it won't harm to try now, will it?", she grins mischieviously at her friend.
Audrey Ashgrove looks up sheepishly, "Aye... I barely slept and after tossing and turning all night, I've decided to go ahead and try! What could possibly go wrong, other than I make a mess and a fool of myself?"
Audrey Ashgrove giggles as Lis begins to laugh
Audrey Ashgrove: "Anyway, Gabe did give me a few toadstools which I need, and I had some of the other things, but may I take a small jug of water from your well, Lis?"
Lisbeth (NPC): "Surely, Audrey, help yourself. I best get to them cows now. Good luck with your... experimentin'!"
Audrey Ashgrove skips over to the well and dips a small jug into the cool water. As she passes Lisbeth on her way back onto the path towards Cheshire Docks, she nods in farewell, "Many thanks, Lis. Give your Nan my greetings. That sweet bread she made was mighty fine!"
Audrey and the Innkeeper
As she passes under the arched entryway to the town, she is accosted by a playful dog, who scampers around her feet.
Audrey Ashgrove: "Well, hello there. Another early riser", she grins and scratches the canine behind his ears. "Sorry, I can't play just now though... maybe later."
She crosses the town square with purpose, heading towards the Mage Guild. As she passes the Cheshire Inn, the tavern owner hails to her and she stops and smiles...
Audrey Ashgrove: "Good morning, my Lord. What a lovely day this will be, don't you think?"
Audrey Ashgrove is taken aback as he gruffly greets her and grumbles about missing cats keeping his wenches from working as they should, his eyes roaming the square, following the number of felines slinking about in search of breakfast...
Audrey Ashgrove: "Oh, is the big red tabby still missing then?", she continues in a friendly tone, but not getting any reply, she shrugs at the cats surrounding them, a silent apology for not stopping to pet them or give them some fish today.


Audrey Ashgrove quickly opens and shuts the door of the Mage Guild. The noise from the square, the grumbling innkeeper and meowing cats dampened.
Audrey Ashgrove glows as she spots the cauldron on the table and quickly pulls out the items that Lord Jaekob had listed the evening before.
Audrey Ashgrove: "I just know this will work...", she says hopefully, "even if I'm not quite sure if I should add them together or one at a time!"
Wasting no time she takes the jug of water and pours it into the large, heavy cauldron. As it simmer she takes out the other two items and throws them without caution into the pot...
Audrey Ashgrove grabs the wooden ladle from the table and begins stirring
Audrey Ashgrove coughs as suddenly copious amounts of foul-smelling fumes burgeon out of the cauldron. She removes the spoon and stumbles back a few paces, covering her mouth and nose as whispy smoke fills the room...
Audrey Ashgrove: "Oh my, oh no... what have I done", she splutters between coughs, closing her eyes to avoid watching the brew bubble or explode before her.
Audrey Ashgrove peeks behind her hands at the cauldron, suddenly still, the smoke dissipating fast...
She moves cautiously towards the pot and looks inside, her eyes widening..
Audrey Ashgrove squeaks..."Gone! The potion is gone! Not a trace left... what did I do?"
(Cauldron example whispers: You failed to make a potion)

Audrey Ashgrove sinks back into the chair, relief flooding her as she whispers, "I am so glad that I didn't burn the Guild down, that would certainly have been the last of my learning"
Audrey Ashgrove breathes deeply, contemplating the difficulties of potion making and trying to remember the Druid King's exact words from the class yesterday.
Audrey Ashgrove's eyes light up and she straightens her shoulders.
"I think I remember his exact words... yes, yes.... one more try perhaps", she says with growing confidence as she places the rest of the items in her basket on the table.
Audrey Ashgrove carefully pours the remaining water into the cauldron, waiting until it boils, before adding the other items... one at a time and waiting until they are mixing well with the liquid...

Audrey Attempts to Make A Potion
(Cauldron example whispers: Mix in your ingredients...
Audrey Ashgrove: takes an ingredient from the pouch and
mixes it in.
 Audrey Ashgrove: takes an ingredient from the pouch and mixes it in.
Audrey Ashgrove: takes an ingredient from the pouch and mixes it in.)

Audrey Ashgrove holds her breath as she waits

(Cauldron example whispers: You failed to make a potion)

Audrey Ashgrove gasps as the liquid bubbles and smokes and before her eyes seems to seep into the bottom of the cauldron and disappear...
Audrey Ashgrove groans, "oh no, not again... well, at least it didn't nearly explode this time"
Audrey Ashgrove: "And at least there is no pot to clean as it is spotless", she giggles
Audrey Ashgrove shrugs, gathering her basket and heading to the door, "I guess Gabriel was right and I need to get back to more reading..."

She heads back over the square on her way home, her mind a jumble of ingredients, potions and magical formulas, but soon her attention captivated by the scenery and the waves crashing against the docks, filling the air with a salty tang...

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this reminds me way to much of my attempts to churn milk to butter on InWorldz. Every time I tried, the churn would say, "You have made ... a mess".

    ReplyDelete