Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Kathena and Zellda Get Acquainted

Zellda Montgomery  stands at the edge of the camp.  Her hair is tangled and her clothes are torn.

Kathena Mavendorf hears her horse startle for a moment and looks around, spotting a woman. She stands and makes her way towards her.

Zellda Montgomery looks at the woman with a tentative smile "sarshan."
Zellda Montgomery: "I saw your fire."

Kathena Mavendorf seeing the torn and tattered look and smiles softly, "Welcome to our camp. Why don't you come closer to the fire, you could use some warmth."
Kathena Mavendorf motions to the logs so she will follow.

Zellda, Romani Gypsy
Zellda Montgomery nods quickly "Nais tuke, phen."

Kathena Mavendorf smiles at the woman, "You aren't from these parts."

Zellda Montgomery shakes her head, "Nah.  We have come on a journey...my family and I."

Kathena Mavendorf looks around cautiously, but not seeing anyone else. "Where are your kin?"

Zellda Montgomery sighs deeply, "I do not know...and I fear for them."
Zellda Montgomery: "We were crossing the river, a ford to the south.  It seemed so still but then there was a rush of water and," her voice breaks and she covers her face with her hands.

Kathena Mavendorf examines the lady for a moment, and decides she's not a threat. "My name is Kathena. I'm not originally from these lands either, but I've made it my home. What is your name phen?"

Zellda Montgomery lifts her face, struggling to gain control, "I am Zellda."
Zellda Montgomery: "Zellda of the Tokar clan."

Kathena Mavendorf sees the tears in her eyes and feels compelled to help her, as she has been helped by other's people's kindness. "Well met Zellda of the Tokar clan. I originally hail from the sands far to the south, from the Bedouin tribes."
Kathena Mavendorf stands and moves a bit closer. Her voice soft and soothing so as not to alarm the young woman.

Zellda Montgomery: "I have heard tales of such people but know little.  Perhaps we will have many stories to share around the fire....if I may stay with you while I look for my clan."

Kathena Mavendorf smiles and nods, "I offer you my hospitality and protection Zellda. You are welcome to stay here as long as you need. No one will trouble you here."

Zellda Montgomery frowns and looks toward the town in the distance "You have no mizah with the gadjes?"

Kathena Mavendorf smiles and paces a bit, "There is no trouble with the locals here. I have earned their trust and respect, so they let us be."
Kathena Mavendorf looks at her torn rags and how cold she looked. "Zellda, I have extra garments in my vardo that you may use until you can get your own if you like."

Zellda Montgomery shivers and nods "That would be misto.  I was baxtalo to see your fire."

Kathena Mavendorf grins, "That one there is mine.....feel free to go through my trunk and put on anything you like."

Zellda Montgomery yawns and slides down into the grass, "Perhaps just a blanket...here by the fire," she says drowsily.

Kathena and Zellda Get Acquainted

Kathena Mavendorf: "I will set out a mat and some extra pillows in my vardo so you can sleep. I often go traveling so I am not home very much. You will have plenty of privacy."
Kathena Mavendorf nods, "Very well," grabs a blanket and drapes it over her.

Zellda Montgomery curls up, pulling the blanket around her, "Nais tuke, phen."

Kathena Mavendorf: "You are most welcome, sister."

   As we are getting a bit of a Gypsy population, here is a list of Romani words, provided by Zellda to help our readers with translations.
Barter - Trampa
Bread - Bogacha or Maro
Chieftain - Ataman
Enemy - Doshman
Forest - Vesh or Kasht
Friend - Mora
Healing herb - Drarego
Hens - Khania
Horse - Grast
Luck/Lucky - Baxt/Baxtalo
Mild curse - Mizhak (bad)
Mother - Daia
Purse - Kis
To Respect or Honor - Pakiv
Romani man/woman - Rom/Romni
Sister - Pen or Phen
Spell or Charm - Draba
Trail of signs on the road - Vurma
To Steal - Chorav
Unclean - Marime
Water - pani


*************
Barter - Trampa
Bread - Bogacha or Maro
Chieftain - Ataman
Enemy - Doshman
Forest - Vesh or Kasht
Friend - Mora
Fortunetelling - Dukkuring
Greeting - Sastipe, Lacho,  or Misto
Goodbye - Zhan tai Sastimasa
Healing herb - Drarego
Hens - Khania
Horse - Grast
How are you? Sarshen?
Luck/Lucky - Baxt/Baxtalo
Mild curse - Mizhak (bad)
Mother - Daia
Non-gypsy man/woman - Gajo/Gaji
Purse - Kis
To Respect or Honor - Pakiv
Romani man/woman - Rom/Romni
Sister - Pen or Phen
Spell or Charm - Draba
Thank you - Nais Tuke
Trail of signs on the road - Vurma
To Steal - Chorav
Unclean - Marime
Water - pani
Who are you?  Kaski san


1 comment:

  1. Welcome Zellda and YAY for Kat, returned from her journeys to the Lands! <3

    ReplyDelete