Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Beginnings - How I Began to Roleplay: Fitheach Eun

This is the fourth in a series of posts where our members discuss their first memories of role play. Here, my good friend and Druid Sister talks about her beginnings. I remember well her first visit to the River Lands. I was immediately taken with her gentleness of spirit. She joined tRLs and soon after joined the Druid Guild. A year later, she was promoted to Arch Druid of the lands. I worked her hard and she never faltered. She did each task with seeming ease and this may be a case where the student outgrew the mentor. I am very proud to call Fitheach my friend and my Druid sister. 

Long, long ago in another virtual world beyond the mysts, Fit’s typist yearned to be an elf. Steeped in fantasy and SciFi books and finding myself in a world where almost anything was possible, it seemed within reach. A new friend took me to Elf Clan’s drum circle and I discovered that there were roleplay groups in SL. Now Fit’s typist was and still is a shy and solitary person. I had never played online games or spent time in chat rooms even though I had been on the net since the early 90’s. Roleplay sounded like fun, but where to start?

Fitheach Eun
For years I explored roleplay sims and hung around the fringes of multiple roleplay groups in SL. I read the rules and charters and was only more intimidated. I tried to join ongoing roleplays quietly but mostly never spoke. When I asked questions, they went unanswered or were sometimes blown off impatiently by people with no time for novices. After a while I stopped trying.

I moved on into IW and enjoyed the pioneering atmosphere; people were nicer; there were less of them. Then I saw a notice for some roleplaying groups and thought I would try again. Luckily for me I found The River Lands with a really supportive and laid back atmosphere. I got to watch experienced rpers in action, attended classes that were offered and began to feel comfortable inside Fit’s skin.

 She has evolved into a snotty high elf with a druidic sense of compassion and I have learned to fit into the ongoing stories and work within the rules. I have worked hard to advance in my guild and still constantly learn from my new family. Roleplay is street theater to me; I love the evolution of the stories we build and I could not have found a better group to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment