Monday, August 10, 2015

The Beginnings - How I Began to Roleplay: Amethyst McMahon

This is the third in a series of posts where our members discuss their first memories of role play. Here, my beautiful mate. tells us how she began. Ame is the love of my life, the human behind the elf. I was a good man before we met, but I am definately a better man with her in my life.

Once upon a time, in the dense mists of another world, I was minding my own business, blogging stuff for newcomers to that grid, helpful pointers to quality freebies or interesting places to visit. I happened upon an invitation to an Open Day at a medieval fantasy realm and just having the perfect gown in my closet, I got myself all dolled up and stumbled unawares into the roleplay cosmos...

I was greeted most kindly, but was loathe to speak a word, so simply sat myself down and studied the gathered group of experienced roleplayers. I was fascinated. There were elves, mages, druids, minstrals, humans and even a tiny fae present. They conversed about things I knew little about, but strived to include me in their chat. 

I beat a hasty retreat.

I wandered the rest of this gorgeously decorated region, took many photos and wrote my blog piece. The owner of the region contacted me and thanked me, inviting me to visit again soon. I did. I was enchanted. Here was a group of folks who loved literature, a well read bunch who enjoyed delving into the past and living out fantasies only visualised in film. 

To cut a long story short... I came, I saw, I was conquered. 
But it took a very, very long time for me to participate in ANY roleplay. I had participated in roleplay at a Harry Potter themed region a while back, but I knew my stuff there.
So, I pulled out my old Lord of the Rings books, researched on the net a little, began attending events where IC and OOC chat was mixed, visited the varied roleplay classes held by the talented roleplayers who made up this fantasy region, until I felt at ease enough to join in my first roleplayed episode... even if it was simply a brief, "Amethyst McMahon looks on in wonder"! 

It's only been a little over a year since then. I still find myself constantly looking up things on the net, reading as much about the Middle Ages or drow culture or faerie lore as I can. I think out roleplay scenarios and sometimes even have the courage to ask other members of the Lands to play them out with me. No one is born a roleplayer...it's a learning process, but the "family" we are building in the River Lands Medieval Fantasy Roleplay Community on the Great Canadian Grid is populated with so many friendly, generous folks who are all more than willing to take time to help newcomers feel welcome and find their feet in this magical roleplay cooperative.

No risk, no fun, I guess! *grin*

PS: Truth be told... I should also mention that on that first journey to the Open Day event, a certain red-headed Elf-Druid caught my eye, soon enough won my heart and was probably quite responsible for tempting me back to his roleplay region again and again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment