Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Winter Gets his Farm

The air was crisp and the morning light just filtering over the Brandy Mountains as Fiesty sat on a cart filled to bursting with supplies to take to Bree. Berilac fussed with his list as his assistants scurried about filling the cart. He checked another item. “Now we got most of it, there be the syrup fer the bakery and some corn mash fer the Tavern. Berilac eyed the cart and says to an assistant “Did you get those seeds that Anny May asked for?” The boy answered “Yessir,” and went off to get the last item.


Fiesty sat patiently through all the bustle, waiting for Winter Silversmith to arrive. Her eyes got big as she realized that the boy was bringing a rocking chair to pile on the great pile. She murmured “Hope the poor pony don’t have a heart attack.”

Fiesty and Winter Begin the Journey

Berilac nodded at the chair and made a final check. “Now Druid Fiesty, you take care of these goods, slow down on the curves and get someone to rub the pony down when yer get there.” Fiesty’s lip twitched but she answered “I surely will Berilac.”
Presently Winter Silversmith arrived, leading his horse toward the mountain pass.

Fiesty Lotus: “Greetins Winter”
Winter Silversmith: “Greetings Fiesty.”
Fiesty Lotus: “Yer ready fer the trip?”
Winter Silversmith: “I am”
Fiesty Lotus: “Well, Berilac- Is everything all ready?”
Berilac: “Yes Druid Fiesty. Everything is in order.”
Fiesty Lotus: “Well, let's get started then. Daylight is a comin.”
Winter Silversmith:” Aye yes, lead the way.”

Fiesty, Lord Silversmith and Berilac’s assistant travel the mountain path and leave the boy in the town of Bree to empty the cart. Druid Fiesty and Lord Silversmith then walked a short way to Farmer Maggot’s Farm.

Fiesty and Winter Meet Farmer Maggot

Farmer Maggot: “Greetings Druid Fiesty. Good to see you again.”
Fiesty Lotus: “Greetings to you Farmer Maggot. You are looking well.”
Farmer Maggot: “I am that Druid Fiesty.”
Farmer Maggot looks at the stranger.
Winter Silversmith nods to the farmer and looks at Fiesty
Fiesty Lotus: “Oh yes Farmer Maggot, this be my friend Lord Winter Silversmith.”
Farmer Maggot: “Good to meet you sir.”
Winter Silversmith: “And you sir.”
Fiesty Lotus: “Lord Winter is looking for farmland.”
Farmer Maggot: “Oh?  I am looking to sell me farm.”
Winter Silversmith: “Then I have come to the right place.”
Winter Silversmith:” Yes, I am homeless after the fires in the Shadowlands.”
Farmer Maggot: “Homeless yer say?”
Farmer Maggot: “Well.” Farmer Maggot scratches his beard.
Farmer Maggot looks closely at the stranger and sees a well-dressed gentleman.
Winter Silversmith: “How much would you be wanting for this farm?”
Farmer Maggot: “I ain't got around to figuring that out yet. I been hankering on going traveling with my son before I get too old.”
Winter Silversmith: “Travel is good; I have done much of that in my near century now.”
Farmer Maggot:” I kin show you around if you like?”
Winter Silversmith: “Sure I would like that”.
Farmer Maggot: “Alright I will show you the barn.”
Winter Silversmith:” Lead on.”
The three, followed by the hound, walk around the house to a great barn.

Checking Out the Barn

Farmer Maggot: “Here is the barn, tackle, the works.”
Winter Silversmith ponders as he looks at the supplies.
Winter Silversmith:” It is a decent barn you have here Farmer.”
Farmer Maggot: “Yes, my friends helped me raise it.”
Winter Silversmith: “Solid foundation.”
Farmer Maggot: “I got good fields and several work horses, 5 cows and a batch of chickens.”
Winter Silversmith: “And are any of the cows good for milking?”
Farmer Maggot: “Two are good; one has a calf on the way.”
Winter Silversmith:  “Ah excellent.”
Winter Silversmith:  “I do like fresh milk with my breakfast.”
 Farmer Maggot looks a little nervous, "Like I said, I ain't added it up yet...”
Fiesty Lotus smiles encouragingly at the farmer.
Winter Silversmith: Well, the land could use some working and the grass needs a trim but it is a nice spot here.
Farmer Maggot: “The fields are good - I got a few in rotation.”
Winter Silversmith: “I love the longer seasons here.”
Farmer Maggot: “Yes, perfect for two seasons of greens.”
Winter Silversmith: “Well it is a nice farm indeed I am willing to pay its worth today.”
Farmer Maggot:”Ah!” Farmer Maggot looks startled.  “What would that be?”
Winter Silversmith reaches inside his coat pocket.
Winter Silversmith:” I have this letter here. It should be a fair offering for the land and all that is here.”
Winter Silversmith hands the letter to the farmer.
Farmer Maggot takes the letter and reads it.
Farmer Maggot’s mouth falls open as he stares at the amount.
Winter Silversmith:” Is that a fair offering Farmer?”
Farmer Maggot silently gives the letter to Druid Fiesty.
Winter Silversmith: “Like I said I need a home and this one is perfect.”
Fiesty Lotus reads the letter and checks the seal. Her eyes go wide.
Fiesty Lotus:” This be a real letter of exchange Farmer Maggot - I will vouch for the seal.”

The Deal is Done

Winter Silversmith: “I am not really one for haggling on value.”
Farmer Maggot: “Are you sure that sum is what you want to give me?”
Winter Silversmith: “Aye, it should be enough; I was told it would suffice.”
Farmer Maggot: wordlessly retrieves the letter from Druid Fiesty and stutters. "This should be enough."
Winter Silversmith: “Good, how long till I can move in?”
Winter Silversmith glances around the farm noting the various livestock and buildings
Winter Silversmith: “Hmm yes.”
Farmer Maggot: smiles widely." I kin be gone by next week. All I need to do is pack my things."
Winter Silversmith: “Then next week it is. Do we have a deal then for your farm?”
Farmer Maggot: “Aye we do, as Druid Fiesty vouches for the letter. I will shake on it.”
Winter Silversmith raises his hand to the Farmer to shake upon the deal.
Farmer Maggot shakes Winter Silversmith's hand
Winter Silversmith: Then so it be done.
Winter Silversmith smiles.
Fiesty Lotus smiles. "Shall we go Lord Winter?"

Winter Silversmith: “Yes it is a good time for ale I think.”

No comments:

Post a Comment