Monday, December 7, 2015

The Lands on Alert

Arvellon returns to the alarm bell where Amethyst is waiting, an elven Ranger at her side. He first addresses his Ranger brother, "Ai gwador! Prestad?" (Hail brother! Any trouble?) and on registering the slight shake of the other Elf's head, he turns to Amethyst and offers her his hand...

"Melda heri, mai acáriel. Á tulë asenyë." (Beloved Lady, you did well. Come with me.) 

Amethyst McMahon smiles shyly and places her small hand in the larger one of the commanding Elf. She murmurs her thanks to the Ranger who had shielded and protected her as Arvellon raced after the dark Drow earlier. Her composure has returned somewhat and she asks quietly if the Drow has been found by the trackers and rangers that appeared at the sounding of the alarm bell.
Arvellon hesitates, his eyes ever watchful along the path and among the trees surrounding them, "No, my Lady, he disappeared once again within the crags of the Shadow Lands. Yet strangely we could confirm that he did seem to be scouting alone here."

Amethyst nods and shivers as total darkness falls over the Lands. Just as they reach the Cottage, Arvellon pauses and extracting her hand from his, she turns to thank him, but is interrupted by his words... 
"We wonder at his plans and I fear that you are not safe at the Cottage without our Aran. The Elven Council would have you removed to Calenhad for the present."

Amethyst frowns and folds her arms in frustration across her chest before replying through clenched teeth, "No Arvellon, I will not be "removed" anywhere. I am staying here, because here is where Jaek will return first and I want to be here when he comes home."

The Elf remains impassive, yet his voice is tinged with gentleness, "Yes, my Lady, no need for ire. I already told the Council that this is the answer they may expect and I will remain here on watch until the Aran returns, however I will be joined by other Rangers now."

Amethyst McMahon sighs and gives Arvellon a timid smile, "I know that my staying here is not making your life any easier and I realise that your leadership and battle skills could be put to better use elsewhere in the Lands at present. I'm sorry for being such a nuisance, but I must stay here and wait for the Druid," her voice falters slightly, "...I'm very sure he will be home any moment now."

Arvellon takes a step towards Amethyst, halts and replies, "Ai, little one, the Aran is sure to return to you soon. And keeping you safe is a duty that I undertook at the Aran's request with full understanding of its importance. You were very brave today and your quick thinking at raising the alarm helped us to be completely certain that the Drow was tracking alone. This fact is enough to trouble those protecting the Lands. His target was clear."

Amethyst balks at the true meaning of this disclosure and her gaze quickly skirts the trees and waterline nearby.

"Áva sorya, Amethyst. A hauta sinomë. Quel kaima." (Do not fear, Amethyst. Rest here. Sleep well.) Arvellon motions to a troop of Rangers who emerge from the cover of the trees to take up position around the Cottage.
"Your home is well guarded and Aran's loyal friend, the White Wolf, will not move from the entrance until it is light. I must inform the Elven Council of your wish to remain here and then I shall return to watch. Go inside now, my Lady, you are cold and in need of rest."

Amethyst gives a weary smile to the handful of Rangers safeguarding her sleep, the awareness that the Lands are now on high alert intensifying her exhaustion and worries, but upon reaching the door she turns again and her look is one of thanks as she farewells Arvellon, "Hantanyel órenyallo, Arvellon. Tenna' tul're. Alámenë." (I thank you from my heart. Until tomorrow. Go with a blessing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment