Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Aran is Missing

The Lady's Grove

Fit slipped silently into the grove on Taibreamh wishing only for a few moments of peace in the evening shadows by the flowing waters and the statues of the lady. She stood quietly in front of the statue’s small pool and knelt to leave a small bunch of white flowers by the candle kept burning there. It had been a hectic few days and she had little time to spare for thinking of Kat and wondered if she had returned or if Jaek had heard any word about her.

“I must go check with him about her”; she thought, wondering if maybe Kat was in grave danger though surely Jaek would have sent word. Running from the grove she found her horse and mounted quickly, setting off at a gallop for Calenhad.

The elven city was strangely quiet as Fit left her horse in the square and walked towards the council hall. No elves were to be seen, unusual at this time of day, but as she entered the hall, a lone elf ranger stood guard trying to look stern and only succeeding in looking worried. Seeing her he started and blurted out: “My lady have you found him?”

Fit and Nolofinwe

Fit stared back at Nolofinwe in puzzlement; “Found who? And where is everyone” she asked curtly. The ranger snapped back: “The Aran of course; has spending so much time with humans addled your wits? Everyone is out searching since they found his note.”

Fit crossed her arms and glared at the agitated elf, relenting somewhat when she could see he was truly deeply upset. “I have heard nothing; what note? And why the search?” Nolofinwe shook his head sadly; “They must have forgotten to send for you in the upset, my lady. We came looking for the Aran this morning only to find him missing and a strange note in human speech on his throne.” “Please read it and see if you can add anything to the meaning.”

Jaek's Letter

Walking rapidly to Jaek’s throne, Fit saw several sheets of paper on the seat covered with writing. Gathering them up, she began to read:

“My dearest friends; I set out this day to help the hobbits in the Shire with arms training as I had promised. But as I left I met Ettrian returning with Kathena who had suffered badly at the hands of those she had pursued. I treated her injuries and left her resting well, but as I left the infirmary I had a sudden vision of my mate, Amethyst, who has been missing these long months. I realized I can no longer go on not knowing what happened to her; I must follow and find her or at least some news of where she might be. I am sorry to leave you all, but the council has questioned my abilities for some time and will be easier with someone else in charge. I hope to see you all again someday in better times. Namaarie and safe paths to you all.”

Fit read the note several times, her eyes glistening. Then she dropped it on the throne and turned to Nolofinwe. ”So everyone is gone looking for him? Where is Ettrian, he may know something?” The ranger shook his head, “As we returned from our patrol, Ettrian rode by at top speed shouting, “My lord I must protect you.” “We think he, too has gone to hunt for our king. Lady what will happen to us without him, what shall we do?”

The archdruid drew herself up to full height and looked at the worried elf sternly, though her eyes were red and misty. “We will do as he would wish us to do; protect the people of these lands and go on until he returns to us.”


Calenhad

No comments:

Post a Comment